Saturday, February 15, 2014

I'm sorry! I forgive you!

I think we have all heard that we are supposed to let go of our egos and say 'I'm sorry' when we've had an argument or a disagreement with a loved one. That it is more important to preserve the relationship than be right all the time. I think that's so important as well. Often when I've had an argument with someone I love (for example someone whose name starts with L), I feel like I'm not the one who should be apologising but I do it anyway because I'd rather get on with the day and keep being happy with him than wait for him to come and reconcile with me. 
But the other thing I've noticed about me, is that it's often difficult to say 'it's okay' or 'I forgive you' or 'apology accepted'. It's almost like how dare you apologise after you've done something to hurt me. It's almost like I want you to really feel bad before I can be generous enough to grace you with my forgiveness. I will nod with a forced smile that says 'you better be sorry'. I will roll my eyes which says 'yes you apologised but I will use this against you sarcastically in our next argument'... instead of saying, 'you know what, we all make mistakes, don't worry about it, let's forget about it (but don't do it again!!)'. 

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all learned to apologise and forgive? Regardless of who's right? 

Trying hard to achieve that.

1 comment:

  1. indeed. agreed. a skill that yet needs to be mastered.

    ReplyDelete

Identity

I think for the last few years I have been struggling with an identity crisis. Well, struggling is the wrong word and also crisis is the wro...